vrijdag, maart 20

Although I was born and raised in the United States, there is no doubt that my sculpture has been significantly influenced by my trips to Europe. In fact, having been trained as a painter, I may not have started sculpting had it not been for the semester I spent in Rome in 1987—or at the very least, it may have taken me longer to realize that I prefer three dimensions over two. While there, I was especially impressed by traditional marble sculpture, particularly, the work done by three classical giants: Michelangelo, Dontatello and Bernini.

But never once did I entertain the (currently popular) idea that their work is superficial, trivial, or even trite, primarily because it has been so popular, particularly with the masses. So, quite content with the vulgar appeal of representational sculpture, I returned to the U.S. and began working in wood, which was the only medium available to me; I made “George” at this time.

But in the back of my mind, I was certain that I would eventually work in some kind of stone. However, over the next few years, I grew attached to the warmth and unpredictability of the wood. I was hooked.